Elections to Council 2020 - closing date for receipt of nominations 25th September 2020
27 August 2020
There will be three vacancies arising on the Council of the Vascular Society at the AGM in November 2020 as current Council members complete their three year terms of office. We would therefore like to invite nominations from the membership for election to the Council.
The Council meet four times a year in February, May/June, September and November. Council Members are generally asked to serve on one of the Society’s working committees - Audit and Quality Improvement, Education, Research, or the Circulation Foundation. In August you will be required to mark the abstracts for the AGM and in November attend the AGM where you will be involved in marking the prize sessions and chairing a session. Council’s opinion is regularly sought on consultant vascular surgeon job descriptions and NICE guidance documents.
It is important that you speak with your clinical director /medical director to ensure that you can be released for these commitments.
Members elected to Council become Trustees of the Society as a Registered Charity, and therefore have a responsibility to act in accordance with Charity Commission regulations in achieving the Society’s objectives:
- To take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of the organisation
- To ensure that the policy and practices of the organisation are in keeping with its aims
- To ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
The Vascular Society is legally responsible for the operation of the fundraising activities of the Circulation Foundation and Council members are encouraged to take an active interest in supporting the aims and objectives of the Circulation Foundation.
We do hope you will consider putting yourself forward for nomination. The nomination form is attached and also available on the website.
To submit your nomination you will need to already be an Ordinary Member of the Vascular Society:
- Complete the nomination form (attached and also available on the website) which can be found HERE
- Include a proposer and seconder. Both should be current full members (Ordinary members) of the society.
- Include a short letter, single side A4, outlining why you would like to serve on the Council. If you meet the criteria and there are more than three nominations this information will be published on the electoral voting poll.
We look forward to receiving all nominations. Closing date for receipt of nominations will be FRIDAY 25th SEPTEMBER 2020, please email these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there are more than three nominations a ballot will be carried out prior to the AGM with the outcome announced at the meeting.
If you require any further information please contact the Honorary Secretary, Miss Sophie Renton email@example.com